How to dress glamorous while keeping your spending to minimum: Part 1
Based on some interesting questions I have been receiving lately, I thought of sharing with you lovelies a few secrets behind my style. More precisely, how to dress glamorous while keeping your spending to minimum. Which items deserve to be invested in and which can save your dollars considerably.
1. Shoes. Invest. Invest. Invest. Great shoes will make you feel and look great. Think Cinderella: you wear a gold shoe and all of a sudden a sack you’re wearing is a beautiful dress. It’s truly amazing how a great pair of heels or booties can change the entire perception of your look. Check out Endless for some amazing shoes at the best prices.
2. Bags. The second most important item on this list. A great bag will always enhance your look. Moreover, one great bag will last years! After relentlessly using my Tods tote for 8 years I finally sold it on eBay. It still looked great! You can’t do that with a fake leather no name bag, most likely it will fall apart after 2 months (proven!). If you can’t afford a designer bag, there are many great mid range brands that make stylish bags at reasonable prices. For example, Marc by Marc Jacobs. eBay or opshopping can be another great option.
3. Accessories. If you haven’t already, think about the style and color of jewellery that will suit you and your wardrobe best. Silver or gold, chunky or delicate, minimal or flamboyant? After making those decisions, find and invest in 2-3 pieces (earrings, bracelet & necklace) that will go together well. The other jewellery can be inexpensive, say from our beloved Diva or Colette.
4. Jeans. Invest in 1 pair of classic skinnies or straight leg jeans. The rest can be cheapies from Zara or ASOS. Especially those that are ‘on trend’. To throw away $200 for a pair that you won’t wear next season? Don’t think so… You’d better be saving those dollars for something else (read: bag).
5. Clothes. In general, save! Go as cheap as you can. Opshopping, extracting from the back of your wadrobe, revamping or simply purchasing from inexpensive chain stores or alternatively ASOS. Speaking of which….
6. Online shopping. Often I find prices are lower (up to %50) online compare to retailers here in Australia. For example, these Paige denim jeans in mint colour cost over $2oo in DJs but in Shopbop… only $169. Check out Norsdom, Bloomingsdale and Revolve Clothing – some offer free shipping to Australia. Plus they have regular sales and that’s when you should be buying your investment bags and shoes.
7. Great hair and accurate nails… tsss… I’m jumping a ahead of myself. More about this in part 2 of this series which will be devoted to beauty.
What your shopping and style secrets, lovelies? Which pieces would you consider are worth investing in? We would love to know…