Polish your style: how to find the perfect source of fashion inspiration
Here is the third post from a series on how to polish your style. Today we are going to talk about our personal style icons and more precisely, how to determine your icon and get the best of their style. How to find the perfect source of fashion inspiration!
Of course, we all want to have a flawless sense of style but, really, to style professionally and tastefully on a daily basis you either need to have natural talent or learn how to do it. If it was that easy, professional stylists wouldn’t exist! So instead of spending your mortgage money on a styling course, let’s find out how to get the best from style of those who have already won our hearts.
Here are a few simple steps on how to find a great source of fashion inspiration:
1) Think about what kinds of styles you like the most (feminine, sporty, business chic, casual) and what your colors are. Write it down.
2) Think of a person, blogger or celebrity that best fits above parameters. Write that down too.
For example, my color type is ‘summer’ bordering with ‘spring’ and I like the quirky yet feminine style of Elena Perminova who is also ‘summer’ bordering with ‘spring’ colour type.
3) Start a Pinterest account (if you haven’t yet). Seriously, it is the easiest way to gather your inspiration from all around the web. Its easy to Pin, easy to organise and it doesn’t take up storage space on your hard drive.
For example, here is my Pinterest account where my boards are organised as follows: “Fashion fashion Fashion“ – styles that I love, “Spring Summer 2013 fashion“ – new trends and new looks that I particularly like, “Fashion Photography“ – ideas for photo shoots, etc.
4) Start following your favorite style icon(s) and regularly read about collections from your favorite designers. You’ll get fresh ideas for outfits and to stay up to date with recent fashion developments.
For example, I like the personal style blogger Blair from Atlantic-Pacific and designers Dolce & Gabbana. I regularly check in on Blair’s blog and pin anything that piques my interest. As for designers and fashion weeks news, the best source is Style.com. They post the most recent collections from all around the world often immediately. It’s easy to pin from style.com too.
Of course, there are always exceptions. If you’re a deep brunette who likes Marylin Monroe’s style, of course you can make it work. To have a flawless style just requires dedication and creativity!
Who is your style icon and where do you find your style inspiration? Share with us!
PS. In case you missed it:
– the 1st post from this series “5 fundamentals to polish your style” – here
– the 2nd post “How to determine your colours” – here.
Follow me on: